Saturday 6 April 2013

Step In The Right Direction

Hey Bloggers!!

So after writing my epic story, I'm on a roll to continue telling my story.

So as I mentioned in my last blog, 2 years ago I started my journey towards correcting my teeth/bite. What a ride it has been, my poor mouth has not taken so much abuse in my entire life...But it has been all worth while to say the least.

Okay where to begin, oh yes...preparing to get my braces on. sounds easy enough right?!?! Wrong!! lol. Before I could even start getting my braces put on, I had to see my surgeon first. This was to have my wisdom teeth extracted and to have a consult on my course of action. During my consult is was decided I would only require lower jaw surgery...but this has now changed since my recent consult to double jaw with geno.

So yes back to my wisdom teeth extraction. I booked an appointment the following week for the extraction. I was planning on just using gas for the procedure (I have had gas before and man its great!! Ha) So I show up on the day of surgery, the doc has a look at my x-rays and says NOPE. I looked at him with the rocks raised eyebrow, and said huh?

He continued to say that my wisdom teeth were so impacted below the jaw bone, I would need to be put out. So long story short, I rebook for the following week, was lightly put under (still awake) was like riding a cloud, with a jackhammer on it! lol. everything went well, was waiting in recovery room to go home, feeling great I would like to add ;)

So I make it home, still pretty high, thinking this isn't bad at all!!! then the freezing wore off. Let just say, I felt my heart in my mouth. Luckily I was prescribed some great painkillers to help me along.

2 weeks later, I had my first appointment with my orthodontist to start getting my braces on, putting on my braces was a 3 week process, the first week was just adding spacers between 4 of my back molars (they are called donuts) basically what these are for is to make space around your teeth so they can but steel bands around them.

Let me tell you, if your doing this process, be prepared to be on soft food!!! I couldn't eat anything other then mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs and soups for 2 months while getting my braces on. Have to take in mind, your teeth have never moved before, and now they are being evicted from there home! this are pissed!! lol

So on the second week, yet again....more spacers...but now this glued on my brackets to the front of my teeth. So now I'm on soft food, teeth are crazy sore, and now I have these metal brackets tearing the inside of my mouth up. All I can say, wax is your friend, and kanka to help mouth sores.


Day 1 of Braces
Third week, they installed the bands around my back molars, and placed my first wire in for adjustment. I attached a picture (and I apologise for the grossness lol) So what can I tell you from my experience in braces now over 2 years. Be prepared to have sore teeth and be on soft foods for at least 2 months, take Advil before an adjustment (its helps) wax will help from your lips and the inside of your mouth getting all cut up. here is a list of things are a must when wearing braces.




  • Tooth hygiene bag (bring this with you everywhere, sucks having salad stuck in your teeth when your in public) plus you have get your brushing in on the go.
  • Wax
  • Tooth picks, (G.U.M makes soft little ones with rubber on the tip feels great on the gums)
  • Sulcabrush (this is a tiny brush that will help you get all around those brackets)
  • Kanka (this will help for mouth sores, and trust me you'll have lots of them till your mouth toughens up, and it will)
  • G.U.M Brush (this is a tiny brush that fits right between the gaps in your teeth)
  • Threaded Floss
  • Water Pik this is a MUST!! this was the best 60 bucks I ever spent. its like a power washer for your teeth. this puppy gets everything out.
  • Portable Water Pik- (easier to travel with)
  • Oral B Power Tooth Brush
Let my say, after the 2 to 3 month bench marks, braces become a walk in the park. Your mouth toughens up to all that metal in your mouth. You may not need the wax anymore (I don't) adjustments become easier and only hurts for a day. If you have any questions at all about braces, just give me a knock.

So I'm now 2 years into braces, everything has been going great. to be honest, Doing this has changed my life. I'm much more confident then I was before. I'm able to conduct myself in group meetings at work without being nervous. all in all its been a life changer for me. I will continue on tomorrow about the effects this has had on my life in more detail. but I will leave you with a few pics of my transition through braces.

         6 Months into Braces 
 
 
 
           8 Months into Braces
 
 
 
 
               My Teeth Now
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment