Saturday 6 April 2013

My Story

Well, as I’m sure you've guessed, I’m Eric, and I’m 30 years young. I enjoy long walks on the beach (Hahaha just kidding, but not really I do love a nice beach).
 
Me at age 10
Growing up was tough for me.  I was teased a lot as a kid/teenager due to my teeth (buck teeth).  My parents were not in a position to have my teeth fixed. I’m the oldest of 3 children.  I remember when I was 13, my dentist told my mother that there were some schools that would take on a selected few to practise on to fix their teeth. I was so excited!!  However, my case was too severe and they could not take me on. I was absolutely crushed, but life goes on.
 
 
 
 
Me at 16
When I got older, moved out on my own and started my life, I went to see a different dentist and discovered that I not only had Buck Teeth, but in fact my lower jaw stopped growing as a kid, while my upper jaw continued to grow, causing my bottom teeth to go directly behind my front teeth (which is why I had buck teeth).   So my dentist recommended that I see an orthodontist.  After my consult, the doctor explained what procedures would need to be done and pricing, (take in mind I just started a job and got my own place), so I was in no position to go through all of that at this point, giving me a price tag of 7 grand for just braces. However, I am fortunate that because I live in a country that provides health care, the entire surgery would be covered under OHIP due to medical reasons.
 
 
 
Me at around 21
 
 
So I said I have lived my whole life like this, what’s a few more years!  Six years had passed and my mouth issues had become worse!!   My bottom teeth were now driving right into the roof of my mouth and my eye teeth are being hammered (fractured one of them).    Now in a better financial position, I contacted my orthodontist again and made another consult (this was over 2 years ago).    He explained everything again, that I would need to wear braces for about a year and a half (I’m now over 2 years) and then at that point I will need to get lower jaw surgery to bring my lower jaw forward.
 
I decided to go through with it, as I have wanted this my entire life!!  To finally correct this mouth of mine was the best feeling ever.  I got my molds done and then went to see the surgeon for my consult. I absorbed a lot of information on this visit and he really took his time explaining everything to me.  I knew the journey that was ahead of me, as he made me feel very comfortable.   He has been doing this for over 30 years so I felt like I was in good hands.
 

 
After this I made my appointment with my ortho so he could explain what steps the surgeon and ortho have decided, (they thought at the time I would have to do upper and lower but it turned out I only needed lower YAY!!).   After this I booked an appointment to have my wisdom teeth removed (this was about a month and a half ago) and  ever since then, it has been a roller coaster in my mouth.   Two weeks after my wisdom extraction, I started to get my braces on (took 3 week steps to get my braces on).   I was on soft food for over a month since the extraction!
Pre Molds of my mouth (2 years ago)

 
 
Stay tuned for my next blog “Step in the right direction” which I will cover in finer detail, the steps involved in planning to climb this huge mountain. I will touch base on my meetings with my surgeon, preparing for braces, and life as an adult with braces.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!
    I can relate about with having surgery as an adult and having an issue for a long time.
    I found out pretty young that my jaws were off but didn't have surgery until last year. I can't wait to follow your blog and see how everything goes.
    You're going to be so happy to be post op

    ReplyDelete