Tuesday 30 April 2013

Day 5 post Op

Hi Bloggers,

Sorry for my messy blogs as of late! I'm sure you can tell my life has been turned upside down!!!

Where to start... Had my double jaw surgery April, 25th (5 days ago) my surgery was scheduled for 4.5 hours. While in the OR my surgeon had issues inserting a breathing tube, and because I'm an older patients things didn't want to move so easily.

After 6 hours in operation, I was brought up to ICU. Don't really remember much, just I was really thirsty, and I had this huge breathing tube rammed in my nose that killed!!! I managed to tell him to take it out, and what a relief... In till my nose started filling up with blood, which completely blocked my nasal airways.

I remember the night shift ICU nurse was just horrible, she wouldn't get me anything to drink, wouldn't saline my nose, wouldn't even offer tubes to help prop my swollen cheeks open to get some air. She just kept loading me with morphine and Ativan.

But that next morning on the switch shift, I must have been given an angel. My ICU nurse Lisa. She mediately cut straws to stick between my cheeks to breath, offered me water!!! Yes water!!! It felt so good on my throat. She washed me, made me feel like a person again.

I was released from the hospital on April, 28th. It's been pretty emotional. It's hard to live with you face in so much pain. My face feels like it's as hard as a rock. Eating is such an effort because your putting liquids Into the only hole that's offering air into my lungs. I'm having a hard time finding pain relief. I was given a small amount of liquid morphine as well as a non narcotic pain killer "Trometh"

lets just say it's not working so well, the Trometh can only betaken every 6 hours, and the morphine every 4 hours (with the intent of me being taken off the morphine) none the less, the pain is just to unbearable, so now I'm getting demerol. To add into the mix.

Getting tired now, will update further as we go along. Take care.

Eric



No comments:

Post a Comment